On 23.01.16 14:48, Peter Blodow wrote:
> Erik,
> the drill sizes you are using are all 0.2 to 0.4 mm too large,
> especially with the small values M2 to M6 where it hurts the most.

No, I don't think so. As the note beside the table states: With a nut
length of 1.5 * diameter, 50% engagement is stronger than the external
thread. Since we don't go below 60% engagement, and are at 70% for M12,
there is zero "hurt" there. What would hurt is making the holes smaller,
and breaking the tap, due to excessive cutting torque, especially with
the small values M2 to M6 where it hurts the most.

In Tom's case, M12 is hard to break, so his spindle is giving up, and
the hole needs to be larger still.

> The resulting threads have got to be too loose, easy to overtighten.

The tap & die still cut neatly matching threads, independent of hole
size, so a badly undersized hole only makes the tap act as a drill. It
does not make the bolt significantly tighter - but it does bind the tap,
as Tom is finding. All we are changing with engagement is how much
airgap there is at the root of the female thread.

By tweaking the dieholder screws with a split die we can adjust the
tightness of a thread fit. The tap offers no such variability.

Erik