On Saturday 22 July 2017 03:28:17 Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 15.07.17 12:48, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Screen updates in the postgui stuff are I believe that main reason
> > for over-runs as the pi's video is framebuffer=damned slow. One of
> > the reasons I am considering a rock64, its cpu is about 30% faster,
> > and can be had with 4Gb of dram @ $44.95.
>
> The only thing is that 30% faster than glacial still isn't up to some
> of the motorin' of your youth, Gene. At this link:
> https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/rpi-3-vs-udoo-x86-cpu-benchmarks.73
>26/ we have some runs of:
> "sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 --num-threads=4 run"
> which summarise as:
>
> Raspberry Pi 3 Model B (Raspbian Jessie, sysbench 0.4.12)   119.6545s
> Udoo X86 Ultra (Debian Stretch, sysbench 0.4.12)             12.1223s
> Udoo X86 Advanced on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS                        14.6706s
> Udoo X86 Advanced on Ubuntu 16.10 LTS, on on-board emmc      15.5837s
> Udoo Basic, FreeBSD 11-RELEASE-p1                            29.5172s
> Here it is for an "older" up board (1)                       15.0586s
>
> Did you hook an Up board onto the conveyor of goods headed out your
> way, Gene, or was that one that got away?
>
> I just ran it on my Udoo X86 Advanced, and it gives 22.3 seconds. That
> seems out of whack with the other results. Mind you, it didn't start
> the fan, so may be still in first gear.
>
> Erik

I did get an up board. SOB has a uefi bios, and would not boot anything I
tried. So I went trolling thru the bios looking for a way to turn that
crap off. The only thing I could find was to disable the tcp chip.
Bricked it. According to their web site, a $400 jtag programmer and an
80 dollar adapter are needed to rewrite the bios in that event.
Questions beyond that on the forum have been ignored. IOW, that board,
while seemingly have great specs, has a windows only attitude. UP is
otherwise totally unresponsive to users problem.

As far as I'm concerned, I got screwed out of a 100 dollar bill and a
week.

The last price I saw for a Udoo was in the neighborhood of 150 dollars. I
can get a std mobo, with cpu and enough memory for that. So 4 questions
now that its shipping:

1. Udoo X86 Ultra, $267.00 on the Udoo site today. Thats not even close
to realistic.  The dual/quad is $135 but I can't find any other data on
it quickly. Ah, its an arm, claims to be an rpi3 performance wise.

2. can any UEFI bios BS be turned off w/o bricking it?

3. Does it have a working spi driver so I don't have to throw away $250
in interfacing hardware and start writing my configs all over again? The
spi must be clocked at at least 25 mhz.  Alternatively, can it emulate
an EPP port at equ of 5 megabytes a second both ways?

4. How big is it?

Their site is slow, and has this annoying pop-over asking where you are
nearly everytime you switch pages. All the specs are buried in a pdf
download which is near impossible to read as they chose a very light
color on a white background for the text. That tells me they have
something to hide. I did find the size, about an inch bigger than the
pi, both ways.

All of this is why I'll be watching the rock64 board at $44 fully
stuffed,  Claims it doesn't have the pi's i/o bottleneck. And that would
be huge.

Thanks Erik.