On 08/09/2017 10:07 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
One use I can think of for a low precision sensor is that you should be
able to home faster.   The motor can run at full speed until it gets close
then slow just before it hits a mechanical switch.   For this use case 10%
error is good enough.

My Shizuoka mill doesn't have home switches, but does have dials on the ball screws. I put a pieces of tape on each axis slide which I use to jog to get close to home. I then fine jog to zero the dial. I try to jog from the same direction every time so that backlash is not an issue. I can home within 0.0005" without much effort.

For an absolute position sensor, I'm thinking that a section of tape from a tape measure glued to the slide would work well in conjunction with a screw dial or pointer.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/