On Wednesday 10 April 2019 11:21:11 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 04/09/2019 08:31 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > out of the logic that determines whether the machine will run gcode
> > when that A axis has not been homed because its unplugged, off the
> > machine and stored and either is unhomed, or was never homed since
> > this power up.
> >
> > How is this best done? Preferably done so that a powerdown to switch
> > its homing on or off, won't disturb LCNC's ability to run gcode just
> > because the A isn't homed??
>
> Well, there usually is not a huge reason to have home
> switches on a rotary axis, unless you have setups that will
> be reused on following days.

Or need a reference for setting angles while shaping HSS tools in it.  If
I can find a CBN cup small enough. I've already tore up $200 worth of
diamond stuff trying to use diamond on HSS. No matter how slow you turn
the diamond, it will fail, usually before the desired shape has been
attained.

> So, you can set the A to home
> wherever it is (search and latch velocity of zero).  Ground
> encoder inputs with a shorting plug, so noise doesn't cause
> LinuxCNC to think the axis is moving without command.  Then,
> you can even unplug the axis while LinuxCNC is running, and
> plug in the shorting plug.

No, not with stepper drivers. You do any connection foolery with power
off.  With the relay I put in yesterday, disabling machine motion does
that.

> Another scheme is to have two LinuxCNC config file sets, one
> with the A axis and one without.

I'm leaning somewhat in that direction. I see by the Docs that the
halfile spec says files.  Plural.  So that and the #INCLUDE may show a
way fwd. Time will tell. Might be 2 .ini's and 4 or more .halfiles
before thats all done. And becoming hell to maintain. :( The addf's
should probably be two separate but complete lists just to maintain a
working addf ordering. Twopass should help with that if I put the A addf
stuff as an #INCLUDE right in the correct location in the 2nd halfile's
addf list.

I can see my coffee consumption, already too high, going up before thats
finished. :(

Thanks Jon.