On Wednesday 10 April 2019 06:00:50 andy pugh wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 10:50, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > Two separate configs means it will be hard to keep them in synch,
>
> Two configs (ie INI files) can share the same folder, so the HAL
> files, .var file and tool table are all shared.

And if I copy the ini to one with no A references in it, do I also have
separate .hal files, or does hal ignore the A references?  Or do you
have 3 hal files? A basic, and a load vertical and a load horizontal?

I've just perused the docs again, looking for a way to #IF an #INCLUDE
with that in mind, but that would appear to need a preliminary loadusr
of a panel.ui just to select things.

So I don't see a tasty way to do it as I'd still have two pairs of files
to keep in synch with such as MAX_VELS etc. With the sheer number of
variables to keep synched, the N! could rapidly exceed 69, the maximum
my now elderly ti-51 calculator can do.  So the best way might yet be to
do the 2 configs by 2 .ini's in one directory, along with two .hals, so
the -3 version is just the -4 with the A stuff stripped.  Problems like
this beg for an IF [condition] in both the .ini and the hal.

I do see that panel.ui has gfx that pyvcp doesn't, like the little dot
boxes. Or a teeny square with a check if condition=true. pyvcp is stuck
with color controllable leds, but you can't click the led so you still
need a button to click.

I'd also complain if hung with a used rope ;-)

> I do this with my mill to switch between horizontal and vertical
> spindle modes. Most of the HAL files for spindle etc are the same, but
> the different INI files call different sub-sets of HAL files and set
> the kinematics differently.
> (JA and the new trivkins made that part really easy)

Maybe a chapter on this in the Documentation.pdf?  Sounds like it would
be quite usefull for this.

Can the .ini reliably spec 2 or more .hal files? Separate out the A stuff
for a 2nd .halfile, change the number of axises from 3 to 4, and call
the A stuff in an extra halfile in one of 2 separate .ini's?
>From section 8.2.2.7 it appears to be workable, with the exception of
properly ordering the resultant addf's. That will involve some
#INCLUDE's, and that boils down to two separate halfiles to maintain
because we don't have an IF/ELSE/ENDIF.  Makes me get all growly. So I
guess it gets clamped to the back of the shelf for storage when not it
use.  Actually, I have a mental image of a extra platform on the rear to
hold it where its out of the way, but a 1" dowel stuck in the end of a
blank would suffice to hold and rotate the blank for gunstock work. But
due to Z height limits, most of the buttstock end will need to be done
with it laying flat. I can see a problem because of the buttstock toe
hanging down and needing Z height I don't have while doing the barrel
channel too, but the G0704 can do that.  That stock setup would leave
room beside it for the hack-a-day style of tool changer.

Thanks Andy.