On 04/09/2019 10:16 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
And the interlock needs to know if the loaded code contains an A|B|C move.
OK, now this is going beyond the capabilities of LinuxCNC as it is. I think the best way to handle this is to have two configs. If you ever load a G-code file with an A move when the config has no A axis, that will generate a fault as soon as you LOAD the program. If you really need this protection, then two configs is probably the best way.
Pretty complex... And I'm beat up from yard work, tried to trim a hedge that has some 40mm diameter branches. I'll hurt tomorrow, sure as heck. Humm, maybe I could use a timer trick like I once did in the simulation to generate a dummy home switch. Or a dummy search switch closure thats actually a timedelay, I've done that so code useing a G38.2 could be simulated.
Another way is to use a spare general purpose input that is controlled by a jumper in the A axis connector. Then, when no plug (or a shorting plug to keep noise out of the encoder inputs) is there, it can be sensed whether the A axis is plugged in. Now, exactly how you use this is a good question. I think you could set up some hal code that will cause an error if you run the config with the A axis when it is not plugged in. Or, of course, it could just refuse to home A when not present, and that would tell you you have loaded the wrong config, or that you need to plug A in and rehome.

Jon