Hi Andy,
See below.

My HP_UHU drives have that feature built in.  The encoder connector has to have
a jumper to show the encoder is connected.  Probably to avoid a runaway
condition.

> I just accept having an A axis display even when the axis isn't
> connected. And the machine will f-error if you try to move or jog it.

I'm testing with both MACH3 and LinuxCNC so I can write up a neat little
conversion document that takes a parallel port BoB based system from MACH3 into
LinuxCNC with minimal pain.  In the MACH3 system, on my CNC router, when I tell
the open loop stepper controlled axis to home all that MACH3 does is zero out
the DRO.

But Gene has a home switch on his rotary indexer.  Now thinking about it I
think the solution might be simple. When he pulls the indexer off the mill he
has to unplug the encoder cable.  If he's using safe type limits then the
switch is normally closed and a home (or limit) happens when it opens.

So run the home switch circuit through the encoder connector and wire the
mating encoder connector to have the connection closed.  From the CNC
controller perspective the system is already homed.  The only problem will be
if LinuxCNC uses a find home switch sequence, and then backs off so the switch
just opens again before it declares it's home.

In that case it would try to move off a non-existent home switch and try
turning the indexer forever.  And perhaps that's again where that extra input
comes in.  If the input is asserted then a home switch exists.  If it's not
asserted then a home switch doesn't exist and he runs it like you run yours or
I run mine.

Again in the MACH3 situation, all I have to do is select the ports and pins
menu selection under the config menu.  Select inputs and uncheck Home switch
for A axis.  That also hits the software ESTOP and shuts power down to the
drives when I click OK to save.  I can now unplug the A axis and remove it.
Then press the now blinking RESET button, power is back and a HOME command just
clears the A axis DRO.  Simple.  No file editing.  No multiple config copies.

That's what is really needed on LinuxCNC.

John