This is Qiyamah coming at you again in cyberspace.

I know I said I have left the field of DV but clearly I have not.  :) Yes,
these issues are compelling and I have to add my two cents to Janey's
question about culturally sensitive approaches to batterers programs.

I have noticed some distinctions in how some historically oppressed groups
approach batterers treatment/programs. As an African American I wanted our
men to be held accountable and I was also aware of the historical racism and
genocide perpetrated by the very institutions we were seeking that
accountability from. The criminal justice institutions as we know have been
particularly notorious. Thus, an holistic approach often reflected such
awareness and a model that viewed batterers as part of the group that needed
to be re educated but not cut off from the community. So the need to work
systemically because we still saw batterers as part of a community at risk
and subject to attack from the dominant culture. So instead of "isolating"
our men and making them even more vulnerable to a system that had also
victimized women of color through its racism as well as sexism many of us
looked at more culturally specific "interventions" and approaches. that
intended to reintegrate batterers. There seemed also a greater ability to
separate their behavior from the personalities and not to "demonize" the men
as many European American advocates were so willing to do with European
American batterers.  The social controls that worked for European batterers,
many people of color were not sure they would be used fairly to hold men of
color accountable.

I am sure I will hear from other men and women of color that do not share
this analysis. Remember we are tot monolithic and do not all think alike! :)

I have done a very poor job of trying to explain why some communities of
color take a different approach but if my memory serves me correctly check
this out with Tilly Black Bear and others. I saw a similar approach in how
they worked with their Native American batterers and I have seem this in
other communities of color.

I will say years ago I was initially angry and suspicious that men of color
were being "let off the hook" by misinformed persons using a culturally
sensitive model. But I began to understand that the "hatred and anger and
rage" that I felt about the violence against women that I witnessed and
personally experienced would not be eliminated by perpetrating the same
violence on batterers. And that we had to create a model that was not based
on the same violence. Misuse of power is never justified!

Because I am away from home where my resources are at I do not have the names
and contacts that would be helpful to Janey and others that want to explore
culturally sensitive approaches to batterers treatment. Possibly searching on
Internet might reveal some sources. But here are some that might help:

In Georgia there is Raksha, an east Indian battered women's program. They do
not have a batterers program but they can refer you if any exist

Men Stopping Violence (MSV)- they were working on culturally specific
batterers programs, that is, one that addressed specifically African American
men when I left . Ask for either Ulester Douglas or Sulaiman Nurrideen.

The Refuge Women's group, whose specific name I don't remember, but MSV can
refer you, also will have some thoughts to share since they address the broad
range of battered refugee women and actually started a shelter. One of the
reasons was the mainstream shelters did not understand the sensitive issues
of refugee women.

Beth Ritchey, PhD - worked with the National coalition Ag. DV for years and
in her local state coalition and went on to obtain a PhD with her intriguing
dissertation and book on Gender Entrapment. She also is on the board of the
African American DV Institute. They have a number of individuals that have
worked with African American batterers using culturally specific paradigms.
They really generated some excellent papers on the work they were doing and
will have a lot of the research and academic info that can best inform you.

Qiyamah A. Rahman

P.S. I was fortunate to meet the director of the DV program in the Fiji
Islands
years ago. Looking at how programs are done outside this country is another
possibility as well.

In a message dated 1/31/2002 11:58:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

 > Does anyone know of research that evaluates the effect of batterer
 > intervention programs that are "holistic," or more focused on "healthy
 > relationships" than on directly challenging the violence and acknowledging
 > the socialization, etc.?  And does anyone know of research on batterer
 > intervention programs and/or community-based prevention programs in the
 > Pacific Islander communities, either in the U.S. or in the Pacific or
 > elsewhere?

***End-violence is sponsored by UNIFEM and receives generous support from
ICAP***
subscribe end-violence OR type: unsubscribe end-violence
Archives of previous End-violence messages can be found at:
http://www.edc.org/GLG/end-violence/hypermail/