On 08/10/2016 09:42 PM, onefang Rejected wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 14:27:09 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 15:16:03 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com>
>> said:

>>> If you read SledjHamr.org, you'll see I have taken all of that into
>>> account.  Now you are just making up excuses to ignore me.
>>
>> count the number of people here participating in any virtual world.
>> they use terminals. email clients. wm's. the number of people
>> involved in virtual worlds who would even look is small at best.
>> perhaps you don't like it, but i'm trying to tell you that the reason
>> no one is paying attention is you do not have something they want.
>> maybe others do, but no one here working on efl or e or core users
>> etc. is. or almost no one. if they were, then you wouldnt be a
>> periphery thing. i am not saying your work is bad or its stupid or
>> anything. i'm saying that expecting relevance is dependent on things
>> being relevant to others. if efl breaks terminology then that break
>> becomes relevant because LOTs of people use it here and even
>> elsewhere. but especially here. if evas_3d was being used in e for eg
>> 3d cube desktop switching effects... it'd be relevant to a whole lot
>> of people immediately.
>>
>> i'm not even going to look at those projects because the premise of
>> them as a virtual world is not interesting or relevant to me. it is
>> to you and that's great. not to me. and if you go around wondering
>> why they are not paying attention then this is the primary reason.
>> you have to have things in common that make the things you want be
>> relevant. :) i'm trying to help you here by pointing out that to help
>> the project you care about, you may have to do other side projects
>> that have relevance to others to bring that to the fore. :)
>
> That kinda sounds like you are telling me I basically have to bribe
> people to get anywhere.  Do you realise that A) a 3D virtual world
> system is kinda HUGE (will take years, already has), 2) it involves all
> sorts of sub projects that have to work together, III) lots of little
> side projects will drop out of it over the years simply due to A and
> 2, D) some of these might be the "relevant to others" you seek, why
> don't you look at the damn web site, and tell me which ones?  There's
> even a nice picture showing all of them.
>
> OK, since you are going to ignore my web site, I'll explain that my
> design is more of a P2P thingy, no need to setup a server.  It also
> defaults to what ever user name your desktop already knows, and
> leverages OpenSims HyperGrid protocol such that there is no need for
> servers or accounts.  So no need to set up servers or accounts.  Also,
> no one HAS to pay for Second Life or OpenSim accounts, you can, but you
> don't have to, basic accounts on every one I have looked at are free,
> including Second Life.  Lots of OpenSim grids are completely free to
> use.  The number of people using SL and OS would far outweigh the
> [...]
As someone who's not really much of a EFL developer (occasionally I fix
something really minor or backport stuff), I do occasionally look at app
development and I do a reasonable amount of theme development. I guess
the difference between you and most of the other app developers is that
almost all the other apps have been written without having to add extra
stuff to EFL. The difference is you by your own admission need big new
libraries in order to get it to work and outside of applications like
yours and probably game development I can't think of a whole lot of
desktop Linux apps that would need something like evas_3d which is
possibly why your struggling to get attention (I don't know how what and
why samsung people would use them for mobile but for all I know they
could want something completely different to you). Personally I'd like
to use blur filters in some of my themes while there is currently some
concept of them in efl they don't perform at a level thats usable. Now
as part of the spirit of open source development I basically have two
choices 1. Fix it myself, 2. Ask nicely and wait for someone else, as I
don't have the time or knowledge to do it myself i'm doing other things
while waiting for someone else, (In the mean time I have some nice proof
of concept theme screenshots / a .edj to help convince people it would
be a really cool thing to have but that doesn't mean that anyone else
has to look at them).

So I think raster's point is currently there doesn't seem like theres
many developers interested and generally to get help on open source
projects you need to get developers interested. It doesn't matter so
much if your end application could have 1 billion users because as a
rule of thumb users use stuff and developers make it (other then maybe
some of those users will possibly be developers and you may get them
interested).

The biggest challenge in open source is finding developers with similar
interests to you to help work on things with you, currently it seems in
the efl development community there are not alot of developers
interested in 3D (Personally I have a partial interest I played with
Qt's equivelent many moons ago, but my interest isn't to the point where
its high enough up my todo list to be able to help). Probably the best
example of a open source application thats very popular with users that
aren't also developers is krita https://krita.org/en/ The way they work
is they already have a application that is popular enough with artists
that they can run a kickstarter every year and raise enough funds to pay
for some developers to work full time on it. so the challenge for doing
a big application thats mostly going to be used by users is to get
somewhere far enough that you have something users are interested in
enough to want to pay for it. Otherwise you have to split it up into
small projects then do the work to convince people enough not just to be
"interested" in a project but be interested and willing to help. For
example my interest in 3D extends to sometimes playing around with it on
a weekend. At this point it means that if I was going to have a play
with 3D again i'd probably just use Qt because I know all the pieces are
there and I can just mess around with the "fun bits and hooking stuff
together" for reference I've been going to but haven't got to doing that
for about 4 years.

This is the way of open source you either A do it yourself or B bribe
people occasionally if your really lucky you will find other people with
a similar goal to you and they may help you but for the most part
they'll probably just be interested in adding small bits and pieces on
top of what you have. So if you already have a loader for 20 formats and
nice ways to use them but they want to do that stuff with a 21st format
maybe they'll work on that because its of significant interest to them.

I for example have managed to find a open source job where 90% of the
time I am payed to work on what i'm told to but theres no probs if I
squeeze stuff into other times.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                            Adeliade Australia, UTC+9:30