With all sympathy to taxi drivers and such, I don't think you have a fair comparison. To take a taxi home might cost $30 where calling your own vehicle might cost $5 to make the equivalent round trip.

At present, there are technical limitations, as you cite. However, I'm quite certain that the technology will improve to the point where an autonomous car will be less accident prone in virtually all cases. One can always find an exception but I think these will be statistics at the "noise" level, meaning that your chance of getting killed in a autonomous failure is no greater than, say, an oncoming car swerving into your lane when it's too late to react.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Dennis Miles" <dmiles33...@gmail.com>
To: "Peri Hartman" <pe...@kotatko.com>; "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 06-Aug-14 3:20:18 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: i3 EV self-parks> driver climbs out of window to prove (video)

As I see it the problems with autonomous cars is the estimated $50.000 EXTRA they will cost to purchase, their proven inability to safely drive in city traffic, without human supervision. And the resulting loss of jobs (and the consequential unemployment.) for usurping taxi drivers, Limo drovers, Bus drivers, and Chauffeurs jobs which could have been created or preserved by not adopting an autonomous vehicle and human drivers cost less per year also. In your scenario the car comes into the city to bring you home, although a Taxi and driver can do that even today, an autonomous car has to have human supervision in cities, so it can not. (Having been a Taxi and Handicapped Van driver from 2005-6-7-8 I have a definitive point of view.

Dennis Lee Miles

(evprofes...@evprofessor.com)

 Founder:    EV Tech. Institute Inc.

Phone # (863) 944-9913 (12 noon to 12 midnight Eastern US Time)

Educating yourself, does not mean you were stupid; it means, you are intelligent enough, to know, that there is plenty left to learn!

          You Tube Video link:  http://youtu.be/T-FVjMRVLss

    NEW You Tube Video link: http://youtu.%20be/Pz9-TZtySh8