Is that valuation well deserved?

There is a difference between what a business is, and what the market will
pay for shares in it.  I am more or less quoting Elon Musk when I say it.
He is well aware that the number of cars they make is nearly
insignificant.  And, Tesla can have a bad misstep or two and fail
entirely.  You cannot say that about a "major player."

They are influential, and Musk would be happy if that is their legacy.