From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Cor van de Water via EV
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2017 11:58 AM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Hacking a supercharger. Have a charge on Elon.

Lawrence,
I think the FAQ you quoted explains pretty well that the Supercharging network
communicates constantly with the car in order to charge:
"Your vehicle and the Superchargers communicate to select the appropriate
charging rate for your car. Supercharging rate may vary due to battery charge
level, current use of the Supercharger station and extreme climate conditions.
Your vehicle charges faster when the battery is at a lower state of charge and
charging slows down as it fills up."

So, in order for you to use a Supercharger with your non-Tesla vehicle, you
must:
- elude people who might call Tesla when they see a non-Tesla parked that is
"blocking" their Supercharger
- elude the Supercharging network to make it think you plug in a qualifying
(Tesla) vehicle.
The latter probably requires all of the following:
- Use Tesla proprietary hardware
  (this is not just the BMS and the plug, but also the communication with the
Supercharging network, so you'd need the guts of a lot of a Tesla vehicle.
Since it is unknown what interlocks there are between computers in a Tesla, you
might need essentially all of a Tesla's computers for it to work)
- Tesla thinks this is a registered Tesla or other qualifying Supercharger car
(are there non-Tesla's allowed?)
   (This makes it exceedingly difficult to use the guts of a crashed Tesla
unless you can keep that crash well hidden from Tesla - not likely due to the
constant communication between car and the Tesla systems)
- Tesla's network identifies the car's position as physically at the location
of the Supercharger
- Tesla's network might question the health of your battery if your charging is
significantly different than it expects from the Tesla model that you pretend
it is.
- Tesla has an active account for this car to bill for Supercharging And, if
Tesla suspects any foul play, they can instantly disable a Tesla if it is not
up their safety standards, as Otmar experienced when he bought a crashed Model
S to use its drivetrain as basis for a bus, so he patched up the S to drive it
on the street, ordered some parts only to have Tesla disable the vehicle since
it was not being repaired at a qualified shop...

BTW, regarding the guy that was plugging into a 110 outlet at a park, if I
remember he was acting "entitled" (as a jerk) and was told he was not welcome
to plug in and yet he went back and did exactly that again and after hours, so
IIRC he was cited for trespassing, not for plugging in (although he did not
have approval to plug in, the biggest issue was that he was told he was not to
be there at that time and he refused to leave - that has nothing to do with
illegal plugging in.) Cor.