From their site it's hard to tell where there funding comes from, they do
list their funding as 27% from businesses and 70% from "foundations".  One
of their Directors bios shows he has direct ties to big oil.  Even more, I
found they published yet another article against EVs:

Consumers will pay the price for electric vehicle quotas:

"Montreal, July 25, 2017 – The electric car sales quotas imposed on
manufacturers by the Quebec government will eventually increase the
marginal cost of conventional vehicles by $1,100, reveals a Viewpoint
published today by the MEI. Consumers will end up paying this “tax” through
higher car prices."

http://www.iedm.org/72410-consumers-will-pay-price-electric-vehicle-quotas

Sounds like the province of Quebec is enforcing minimum EV sales on
manufacturers, similar to California.  They predict this will only cause
oil powered vehicle's prices to increase.  I take it the end result they
predict isn't true for California?