I think that you're misquoting the article. 70% is not from coal - it's from a
mixture:

"in 2015, 72 per cent of the electricity generated in Nova Scotia came from
plants burning coal, pet coke, natural gas and oil."

And the amount of renewables will go up to 40%, not 60%, and not until 2020.

Also, renewables does not mean no combustion, so you could still have
associated emissions.

Sent from my iPhone