Jim,
Looking at microeconomics it does not make sense indeed.
However, anyone paying extra for green power sends a signal
to the market that green power has higher value.
They are voting with their money.

The market, in return, installs more green power where it might
not have been feasible against the "dirty" power rate, so the long term
effect is that buying green power *does* change the picture.

Luckily, renewable power costs are ever falling and dirty power is ever getting
more expensive (with slight offsets, when regulations are cut and dirty plants
can run longer at lower cost to produce more pollution a bit longer)
but eventually all dirty power will price themselves out of a fair market
simply because it cannot compete with ever cheaper renewable energy
that does not have the running cost of constant supply of fuel, since it is
provided for free.
That is why the first switch to renewables was always at places where it was
difficult or expensive to supply fuel (islands, mountain tops) and over the
years you see the economy trickle down into mainstream power provider
territory simply because of business sense.

EVs might affect this slightly, due to the focus on all-electric power,
so people tend to get a trigger that if they invest in an EV, they might just
as well invest in PV for more reasons than just bragging rights.
Consumers who buy EVs for "going green/coming clean" but can't install solar
might be very motivated to pay a penny extra per kWh to motivate providers
to install more renewables.
It is what I am doing until I can install my own solar.
Cor.