From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Ken Olum via EV
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 3:48 PM
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: Ken Olum <k...@cosmos.phy.tufts.edu>
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Smearing with coal (again)

   From: Robert Bruninga <bruni...@usna.edu>
   Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 11:15:28 -0500

   AND more than half of all EV buyers also buy CLEAN ELECTRICITY,
   either from their own solar...

The fungibility of electric power makes it difficult to make a clear
statement about this.  It's true that if I charge on a sunny day the
electricity flows straight from my solar panels to my car.  If I had a gas
car, the power generated from the panels would go instead to displace
someone else's electricity usage, generated mostly by fossil fuel plants.
Thus having solar panels does not exempt me from the fact that using
electricity in my car leads to more fossil fuel consumption than if I
didn't use it, everything else being equal.

                                        Ken

P.S. If anybody is an expert on voluntary renewable energy set-asides in
carbon emission cap-and-trade systems, I'd appreciate a conversation, but
email me separately as it is not really relevant to this list.
Thanks.