On 20 Jun 2020 at 7:06, paul dove via EV wrote:

> The law was the only reason [Toyota] made electric vehicles

>From the very beginning, Toyota has dragged their feet on EVs.

Tesla builds EVs for good reasons.  I think you could argue that Nissan and
Renault did, at least initially, with the Leaf and Zoe.  I don't know about
GM and the Volt; maybe.

I'd say that today, with the possible exception of Tesla, most EVs are STILL
offered primarily because the law says so.  Several nations have announced
plans to deliberately phase out ICEVs, some within 10  years.  If that's
what it takes to get them to make EVs, I'm mostly OK with that.  Whatever
works.

But Toyota's execs are off in la-la land.

For goodness sake, Nissan introduced the Leaf 9 years ago; Tesla brought out
the Model S and Renault the Zoe 8 years ago.  These are mature EVs now.

But here we are in 2020, and Toyota - the giant Toyota! - the world's #1
automaker! - STILL doesn't have a pure BEV on offer.

They sit there on their crumbling old "you never have to plug it in" hybrid
laurels, looking around fearfully, making cautious little statements
wondering whether BEVs can be profitable (answer: yes they can).

Meanwhile, Prius sales gradually trail off, currently at less than half
their peak.

But by 2025 Toyota willl have a WHOLE BUNCH of BEVs for us to drool over,
they swear!

Sorry, what little EV cred Toyota had is long gone.  Screw 'em.  Leave them
in the dust where they belong.  The future belongs to those who can see it.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator