On 22 Jun 2020 at 13:29, Lee Hart via EV wrote:

> But there are already many markets in the world where ICEs are banned.
> There are likely to be more in the future.
China is pushing EVs hard.  France and the UK plan to do away with ICEV
sales by 2040, and in fact France wants Paris 100% EV by 2030.  Germany and
Netherlands want zero ICEVs on sale by 2030.  Germany is pushing for this to
be an EU-wide policy.   Norway's aiming for 2025, though they want to do it
with incentives rather than a ban.

> Is Toyota planning to abandon these markets?

Maybe Toyota plans to sell something other than vehicles in 2040.

Or maybe they plan to only sell Toyotas in the US, in authoritarian semi-
dictatorships like Hungary and Poland, in petrol-soaked Italy, and in third
world nations.

Or maybe they're planning to rebadge EVs from other manufacturers, or
license old, obsolete EV designs from them.  I can envision them trying to
sell Chinese EVs as captive imports.

Or maybe they're putting their money and effort into getting more regressive
politicians elected in more nations, hoping they can get the EV policies
rescinded.

Whatever they do, they'd better get to it pronto, or they're going to end up
planting their flag on the EV equivalent of the Ford Pinto and Chevrolet
Vega.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator