Nate I love that idea. I've been having a bit of a tough time in this area
(south bay) drawing enough people to make a user group meeting worthwhile. I
know Joel and a couple others tried to get something going. the python
meetups in the area seem to be drawing a decent crowd.

It seems that the Seattle and Boston area have a good following for Plone,
we haven't reached that point. It seems Django is preferred around here..
(although I'm still finding work locally for Plone, but not as much)

Maybe that's the ticket, having an install-fest and taking notes, figuring
out what new users are struggling with while installing Plone. I had a taste
of it at my on-site training session a couple weeks ago because these were
designers tasked with converting the look & feel of their corporate site for
the PloneCMS. Had a Flex guru and a couple other guys who in most instances
really knew what they were doing looking at me as if I'd killed their puppy
because they couldn't get Plone to install.I know there is no way to plan
for every possible use-case. I really like this idea, a lot. Let me ask
around and see if I can find a location for a user group meeting and then
install-fest. I plan on helping anyone who asks at the WPD next week to
install Plone.

BTW, I've tried Joomla and WebGUI (lately) and I'm still very much enamored
with Plone (someone jokingly accused me of suffering from Stockholm's
Syndrome ;-P) and haven't found anything comparable for my clients needs.
Plone is still painful though (although improving). It's not painful from
the content creators standpoint or even the core dev's standpoint, it's
those of us in between who are struggling.

Best Regards,
Donna M Snow, Principal
C Squared Enterprises
illuminating your path to Open Source