I'm answering Dylan first (before JoAnna) purposefully because he actually led me to some of my responses to her.

Dylan Jay wrote:
All in all, I'm not sure this discussion belongs on the Evangelism
list. This list is for the evangelism team which has the strategic
purpose of promoting Plone. While Chris may disagree with some of the
things that are in this document, they are things we find to be true
about Plone. If you are actually seeking solutions to real problems,

Chris wasn't seeking help he was pointing out why Plone is less easy to install than we all assume it to be or at least claim it to be.

That is mostly correct - although if help came about from it I wouldn't be the least little bit upset. ;-)

I think it's a fair point. There are answers to everything out there on how to do everything with Plone and we as a community are trying to pull it all togeather and reduce the number of things you need to know to get to where you want to go.... but we're not there yet. An example is PloneOut... who would know from the standard Plone download page PloneOut is a good option if you want OOTB themes. I didn't know that and I've installed corporate intranets for thousands of employees. The real question here is, do we want to promote Plone as easy to install even though some don't think so and because we want it to become so... or should we pick something more complelling that's going make someone like chris hang in there and push through.

Right - which is EXACTLY why I think this discussion belongs in the evangelism group. If you can't convince someone like me - a person desperately seeking a CMS solution who likes the promise of plone - then evangelism efforts for other people are pretty much going to be for naught.

Case in point is the "web designers group" here at Texas A&M. Plone is "just another one of the cms options some folks are using" - and not the one that gets recommended the most here. How much more of an audience ripe for evangelism do you want?

What was it that made you settle on Plone in the first place Chris?

Another fair question. To be honest, I don't exactly remember. I know I started with looking at the afore mentioned "Texas A&M web designers group" and saw that Plone was among those listed. Of those, there weren't many that were free (and free is always a good thing for a non-profit group). I did basic google search and ended up here on this mailing lists (which I happen to read via gmane's newsserver).

Chris Barnes                              AOL IM: CNBarnes
ch...@txbarnes.com (also MSN IM)        Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes