> Fair question.
> A decent looking website for the public to see, w/ a separate interface for
> the non-html-versed content managers to update information.  This is NOT
> what one gets after the 'default install'.
>
> Instead, one is left with a page that is available for the maintainers, but
> with nothing pointing to a site for the general public.

You sure you're using Plone? I think you'll find most Plone people
will disagree with you on this one. Plus this boils down to personal
aesthetics and taste. Some people love Plone's default look or love
the NuPlone skin that comes with Plone. Some don't care for it at all.
But technically speaking, both are ready out of the box for you to use
without any customization.

> Proxy? I'm not sure I am exactly sure what a proxy is, or why I would want
> to use one.

You know, like Apache, nginx, IIS,  and such. Sure, it's not the
typical way you'd think of using Apache but it's pretty well
documented on how to get it working with Plone.

> Maybe it doesn't and I just don't understand then.  Maybe what I need to
> learn is zope? (which, btw, is still beyond my pro-bono time constraints).

I too ran a Plone site for a volunteer organization for several years.
Never touched a lick of Python and only a tiny bit of the ZMI. No
hardcore Zope. Plone 3 has just about everything you need available
through the web.

> Having themes which can be imported in sounds good.  I have not heard of
> ZopeSkel before - is it a part of the default install that runs
> automatically?   If it's a 3rd party add-on, that may be nice - but it would
> seem to be misleading (at the least) to say that the product is "ready out
> of the box".

There is a project called the Plone Out of the Box project. They have
a ton of themes that are ready to go. Just pick one an install (yes
they have directions on how to do this). Once it's installed you can
tweak it as you wish. Again, this is all very well documented stuff.

> The fact is, I don't know what I don't know.   All I do know is that I sat
> in front of the screen after installing Plone and wondered "what now?".
> I'm just a frustrated user.  I have neither a vested interest in "making
> plone #1" nor "pushing something else".   I simply want to find a product
> that fits my needs.  If it's Plone - and I was lead to believe it was - then
> great.  If it's not, then my search to find out what will fit my needs
> continues.

Once again, read the end user manual and some of the other
documentation that's out there. Some of it you can probably skip over
but there are docs in there that give you a high level overview that
may fill in the gaps.

All in all, I'm not sure this discussion belongs on the Evangelism
list. This list is for the evangelism team which has the strategic
purpose of promoting Plone. While Chris may disagree with some of the
things that are in this document, they are things we find to be true
about Plone. If you are actually seeking solutions to real problems,
the Plone Users or #plone are better places, Chris. These resources
will help alleviate some of the frustration you are feeling and
provide a more open forum for your thoughts.  This list is highly
specific- it exists to promote Plone. Based on your comments, it
sounds like you'd be better off posing these questions in #plone.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to shoo you off of this list...I
just think your needs could be better met elsewhere.

JoAnna.