This might be my last reply in this thread, since I think I've said enough.

Dylan Jay wrote:
Further to what chris said, I sat down to write a tutorial last year called "how to host a plone site in 20min for $20". As I started writing out the steps of what was required to go from a locally installed and configured plone site to a remotely hosted one I realised it just had too many steps and too many things to learn. So instead I wrote collective.hostout with the goal being that if you can at least add a recipe to our local buildout file then it will do everything else for you to deploy and host your site. It will be released soon in alpha.

When it gets to beta, can you email me directly so I can try it out?

So we are trying to improve the story but I don't think it's fair to say we're there yet. also it's an excellent point to sit and watch or at try to document exactly what you have to know to do things we in the community take for granted.

Besides being a compadmin, I also have a strong interest in Education Theory (both as a part of my MA degree, as well as a homeschool dad). One of the most important aspects of education is knowing about, and adapting to Learning Styles.

Cliff Notes' version - there are 3 primary learning styles:
Visual (learn by seeing) ~40% of people fall into this category
Auditory (learn by hearing) ~45% of people fall into this category
Tactile (learn by touching) ~15% of people fall into this category

Yes, everyone uses multiple senses - but they rely on one of these senses are their PRIMARY way of learning.
http://www.chaminade.org/INSPIRE/learnstl.htm

In context of this discussion, written documentation is really only useful for those who are primarily Auditory Learners (I could get into why reading is not a Visual Learner, but that is a major thread hijack - as if this isn't already).

This is why a "RTFM" answer is only going to be useful to 45% of your audience (and that is assuming you actually give them the docs, rather than pointing to docs "somewhere out in space" as Joanna did). For the rest of us (I am primarily a visual learner) can only really use written documentation as a reference for things we have already learned previously.

So why did I go down this rabbit trail?
If you want to evangelize people into using Plone - a good start might be to have tutorials at WPD (rather than have it be a pep rally).

--

Chris Barnes                              AOL IM: CNBarnes
ch...@txbarnes.com (also MSN IM)        Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes