Peter Jones writes:

> > Is it possible that we are currently actors in a single, deterministic,
> > non-branching
> > computer program, with the illusion of free will and if-then contingency in
> > general
> > being due to the fact that we don't know the details of how the program
> > will play
> > out?
>
> Lots of things are possible. The question is what to believe.

True, but I thought you were saying that such a thing was incompatible with
consciousness,
and I see no reason to believe that. You could replace "computer program" with
"machine"
and have a description of the universe. Actually, you could leave out
"non-branching" as well:
the MWI is branching but deterministic, and still leaves room for first person
indeterminacy.

Stathis Papaioannou