Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> Brent Meeker writes:
>> Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>> Now, when you run the UD, as far as you keep the discourse in the third
>>> person mode, everything remains enumerable, even in the limit.
>>> But from the first person point of view, a priori the uncountable
>>> stories, indeed generated by the UD, take precedence on the computable
>>> one: thus the continua of white rabbits. This results from the lack of
>>> any possibility from the first person point of view to locate herself
>>> into UD*. Somehow the first person belongs to 2^aleph_zero histories at
>>> the start.
>>> A similar "explosion of stories" appears with quantum mechanics, except
>>> that here the physicist as an easy answer: white rabbits and Potter
>>> universe are eliminated through phase randomization (apparently).
>> But only relative some particular bases.  Why the quantum mechanical world
>> has the classical world as an approximation (instead of a white rabbit
>> world) is not a solved problem - though there are proposed, possible
>> solutions.
> Doesn't the SWE make some events much more likely than others, whether that
> involves CI collapse or distribution of histories in the MWI?

That's in the approximation in which separate worlds are orthogonal - something
they only approach asymptotically (unless my speculation that there is a
smallest unit of probability is true).  The amplitudes of the projections onto
these almost-orthogonal subspaces is interpreted by the Born axiom as being the
probability of that "branch".  But I don't believe this can be proven to follow
from the other axioms of QM; it has to be assumed separately as part of the

Brent Meeker

To post to this group, send email to