On 21 February 2010 23:25, Rex Allen <rexallen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So we know 1-p directly, while we only infer the existence of 3-p.
> However, you seem to start from the assumption that 1-p is in the
> weaker subordinate position of needing to be explained "in terms of"
> 3-p, while 3-p is implicitly taken to be unproblematic, fundamental,
> and needing no explanation.

You're right that I'm starting from this assumption, but only because
it is indeed the default assumption in the sciences, and indeed in the
general consciousness, and my intention was to illustrate some of the
consequences of this assumption that are often waved away or simply
not acknowledged.  Principal amongst these is the fact that the
existence of 1-p is not in any way computable - accessible, arrivable
at - from the closed assumptions of 3-p.  But worse than that, if we
take this "default position" of assuming the 3-p mode to be both
complete and closed, we are thereby also committed to the position
that all our thoughts, beliefs and behaviours - not excluding those
apparently relating to the experiential states themselves - must be
solely a consequence of the 3-p account of things, and indeed would
proceed identically even in the complete absence of any such states!

This, ISTM, is a paradoxical, or at the very least an extremely
puzzling, state of affairs, and it was to promote discussion of these
specific problems that I started the thread.  Whether one starts from
the assumption of primacy of 1-p or 3-p (or neither) the principal
difficulty is making any sense of their relation - i.e. the Hard
Problem - and ISTM not only that it is Hard to solve, but even to
state in a way that doesn't mask its truly paradoxical nature.  For
example, as I've mentioned, it's often waved away by some reference to
"identity", in the face of the manifest objection that the states of
affairs referred to could hardly, on the face of it, be less
identical, and in the total absence of any approach to reconciling
their radical differences, or their intelligible relations.  Despite
the difficulty of the subject, I do cherish the hope that progress can
be made if we give up explaining-away from entrenched positions,
accept the seriousness of the challenge to our preconceptions, and
re-examine the real issues with an open mind.

David