On 3 January 2011 12:40, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> It is, and has to be, counter-intuitive. Somehow, "me here and now" is an
> illusion. But my consciousness of being me, here and now, is not an
> illusion, but is not here and now. My consciousness of being me, here and
> now is intemporal and aspatial, but it cannot appears so from the
> 1-perspective. It is corroborated by the abandon of the physical
> supervenience, and the adoption of the comp supervenience. Consciousness (of
> a moment) is not related to a moment, but to a cloudy abstract infinite set
> of numbers in relation with each others. I am not saying that *this* is
> true, but arguing that this follows from D mechanism.
>
> OK?

Well, the more I think about 1-person indeterminacy, the odder it
becomes.  For example, let's say that instead of my being "cut and
pasted" to W and M, I'm "copied and pasted".  Now we have a situation
where, from the 3-person viewpoint, I'm in both W and M, but also
still back where I started as if nothing had happened!  And, from the
1-person pov, after the operation, "I" could "find myself" in any one
of these three situations.

Another thing.  Let's say one were to adopt, rather than DM, some sort
of position whereby consciousness is tied to matter.  The "copy and
paste" process now works by "beaming" enough information to W and M to
assemble local copies atom-by-atom (well, it works in Star Trek!).
The weird thing is, none of this makes any difference.  After the
operation, there are still three versions of me, one of which claims
to have gone nowhere, one who claims to have been transported to W,
and the other to M.  And I can still only bet on which "I" will be
"me" (or should I say "me" will be "I"!).

All this makes me realise that ultimately (as you have said) the
association of 1-person experiences with particular 3-person states is
indeed mysterious.  It is not, as you say, "here and now", even though
it appears that one can make predictions, depending on one's theory,
about the distribution of 1-person "heres and nows" amongst
continuations of any given 3-person mental state.  As we've remarked
before, it's as if there were one big consciousness that somehow
resolves, materialises, individuates and links all these states, and
in so doing makes sense of them.

David