On 05 Feb 2011, at 12:12, Andrew Soltau wrote:

On 05/02/11 09:55, Bruno Marchal wrote:
If the primitively physical universe does the filtering, then it cannot contain an omega point, given that it will reproduce, as you said, a universal dovetailing, and so the indeterminacy on my computational continuations will bear on that dovetailing, and again physics has to be emerging on the arithmetical dovetailing. That's the point seven. You did miss this in a previews post, and I hope you have well understood this now (tell me please).
No, I do not follow this. I have carefully re read your section seven and I still do not follow it. A very simple explanation would be welcome.

Normally steps 1-6 constitute the simple explanation for swallowing step 7. My feeling is that you fail to understand the importance of the comp first person indeterminacy.

You might download the pdf slides:
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004Slide.pdf

In step 3, you see that you cannot predict in advance where you will be reconstituted after a scanning/annihilation and duplication. In step four you see that the introduction of delays of reconstitution does not change the measure on the uncertainties (in case such a measure exists). In step 5, the absence of the black spot means that there is no annihilation, and you see that an absence of annihilation can be seen as an instantaneous annihilation and reconstitution at the same place, without delay, so that "staying at the same place" appears as just another possible outcome (this is counter-intuitive). In step 6, you see that the virtual nature of the reconstitution changes again nothing. Then step seven is the case where where the universe contains a virtual reconstitution of all your computational continuations (an omega point, or a universal dovetailing). So if you do any experiments in the physical worlds, your next subjective experience is determined by the reconstitution of your actual state in the omega point. So, if there is an "omega point", the "probability/credibility" that you are already "there" is about one, and if this does not change the physical laws, it means that the physical laws emerge from the omega point, alias the (sigma_1) arithmetical truth.

I am busy right now. If this did not help, we can go more slowly. Just tell me. I sincerely fail to see what you miss. Usually people have more problem with step 8, which is admittedly more involved on the mind-body issue. Step 7 is or should be rather easy once you get the 3, 4, 5, 6 steps which pave the way. Be sure you get them. Sometimes, people understand step 5, but fail to take it into account in step 7. In the drawing for the steps 5, 6, 7 (and 8), you should supply the delays "/ D /" on the arrows. This might help.

Have a good week-end,