On Mar 8, 11:10 am, Andrew Soltau <andrewsol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/03/11 19:24, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> >> You say "And the result is easy to describe: physics is not the
> >> fundamental branch.". This is the leap of yours I never understand.
> >> Do you posit that a mathematical universe with no physical content
> >> somehow automatically computes?
>
> > Computations have been discovered by mathematicians, in mathematics.
>
> Yes but! I have no problem with the idea of a Platonic realm of
> mathematical structures simply existing, with or without the physical to
> instantiate them. I am aware this is a deep philosophical debate, but
> the Platonic concept seems somehow more straightforward than the
> physicalist concept.

Is it? If the Platonist supposes that there is some special mechanism
of contact between the Platonic and physical worlds that explains
mathematical knowledge, that is not straightforward. If there is no
such mechanism, then mathematical reasoning has to be explained
the way physicalists explain it, and the ontological posit of a
Platonic
world is a redundant extravagance.