On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 09 Jun 2011, at 07:14, Rex Allen wrote:

>>> This is an argument against any determinist theory, or any block-universe
>>> theory. It is an argument again compatibilist theory of free will, and an
>>> argument against science in general, not just the mechanist hypothesis.
>>

>> Hard determinism is incompatible with science in general?
>
> ? On the contrary. It was your argument against determinism which I took as
> incompatible with science or scientific attitude.

I'm not arguing against determinism.  I'm fine with determinism and
it's consequences.

> But third person determinism does not entails first person
> determinism, nor do determinism in general prevents genuine free will.

Determinism doesn't prevent your "redefined" version of "free will",
which of course isn't free will at all - but rather a psychological
coping mechanism disguised as a reasonable position.

BUT...I didn't say third person determinism.  I said "hard
determinism"...the alternative to the soft determinism of
compatibilism.

> People believing that determinism per se
> makes free will impossible confuse themselves with God.

No, people who believe that determinism is incompatible with free will
have a firm understanding of the meaning of both determinism and free
will.

> But now I am no more sure what you are saying. Are you OK with hard
> determinism? Are you OK with block-multiverse, or block-mindscape?

I'm fine with "hard determinism".  I am a "hard determinist"...which
is the position that determinism is incompatible with free will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_determinism

I'm also fine with block-multiverse.  And with a block-mindscape.

Neither of which allow for free will.  Since both of which are static,
unchanging, and unchangeable - making it impossible that anyone "could
have done otherwise" than they actually did.  No one can be free of
that fact - and therefore no one has free will.

Rex