On 6/26/2011 2:37 PM, Rex Allen wrote:
We can never be sure it's real (and in
>  general it may incoherent patches), but on the other hand we can't be sure
>  any particular part of it is not real.
Right, but asserting that the theories are true of the world doesn't
add anything to their usefulness,

But I think it does. To say the theories have some element of truth is just to say that any better theory must do just as well in predicting phenomena and must explain why the displaced theory worked as well as it did. So it's an attitude that helps guide the development of better theories. Even Bruno, who proposes a radically different theory of the world, recognizes that he cannot just discard the success of physics; he has to explain it.