-----Original Message-----
From: Bruno Marchal
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:38 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: COMP refutation paper - finally out

On 27 Jun 2011, at 21:51, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

> On 26.06.2011 22:33 meekerdb said the following:
>> On 6/26/2011 12:58 PM, Rex Allen wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Bruno Marchal<marc...@ulb.ac.be>
>> The idea that our theories are approaching some metaphysical truth is
>> essentially just the same as assuming there is some more
>> comprehensive and coherent theory. I note that Hawking and Mlodinow
>> recently suggested that we might accept a kind of patch-work set of
>> theories of the world, rather than insisting on a single coherent
>> theory.
> Could you please give references to such a statement? In my view,
> this is exactly the way to implement efficiently some simulation of
> the world. It is unnecessary for example to simulate atoms until
> some observer will start researching them.

Ah ah, ... but so you can guess that it would be more easy for
arithmetic too, in that case. That (a need for patch-work theories in
physics) could happen if the partially sharable numbers' 'dreams'
don't glue well enough.
But we don't know that. It is 'just' an open problem in the frame of
comp. Arithmetical evidences and empirical evidence is that the dreams
glue pretty well, I would say.
  I think Hawking and Mlodinov are assuming that the fundamental
reality is physical. The fact that the physical needs patch-work set
of theories does not entail that the big picture needs that too, as
comp (uda) and "formal arithmetical comp" (auda) illustrate precisely.
The fact that physicists can arrive to such extremities illustrates
perhaps an inadequacy of the metaphysics of Aristotle.

Dear Friends,
    If I may. A review of the Hawking and Mlodinov  book can be found here:
While I can only speculate about gluing dreams together, I would like to see
more detail of “an inadequacy of the metaphysics of Aristotle”. As a student of
philosophy I am interested in such arguments.