On Jul 22, 10:08 am, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> >> Why?
> >> The point is that ostensive definition does not work for justifying
> >> an ontology.
>
> > That seems to be a non-sequitur.  How can any kind of definition
> > justify an ontology?
>
> Because a definition or an axiomatization refer to an intended model,
> of a theory which handle existential quantifier. The theory of group
> requires the existence of a neutral elements, for example. The theory
> of number requires zero, etc.

But the "ontology" of a model need not be real, or be intended to be.
The intended model could be a fictional world. for instance.

> >  Definitions are about the meaning of words.  If I point to a table
> > and say "Table." I'm defining "table", not justifying an ontology.
>
> OK. And then what? You are just pointing on some pattern.
>

> >> That's what the dream argument shows. Being axiomatic does not beg
> >> the question. You can be materialist and develop an axiomatic of
> >> primitive matter. The whole point of an axiomatic approach consists
> >> in being as neutral as possible on ontological commitment.
>
> > But what you demanded was a *physical* axiomatic definition.  Which
> > seems to be a demand that the definition be physical, yet not
> > ostensive.  I think that's contradictory.
>
> I did not asked for a physical axiomatic definition, but for an
> axiomatic definition of physical (and this without using something
> equivalent to the numbers, to stay on topic).

Numbers aren't intended to be real (or unreal) in physics
That protons are really made of three quarks is asserted, but that
is asserting the real exsistence of quarks, not of "3".

> >> The computations are concrete relations.
>
> > If the are concrete then we should be able to point to them.
>
> Either by concrete you mean "physical", and that beg the question.
> If not, I can point on many computations is arithmetic

What would make them concrete, if not being physical?