On 28 December 2011 06:14, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> Consequently, it would have to be the case that any "physical
>> computer" (e.g. our brains), proposed as a supervenience base for
>> experience, would itself first require to be constructed out of
>> "epistemological properties" before it could begin to "compute"
>> anything further.  This should seem, to say the least, odd.
>

> I'm not sure on why this should be odd.  The physical world is a model we
> created to explain things and so it's not odd that epistemology preceded
> ontology.  First we learn some facts and then we build a model to explain
> them.  The model defines our ontology.

My suggestion was that any oddness appears only if one tries to make
sense of CTM in terms of some sort of dual-property view rooted in
"primitive materiality".  As Bruno says, this often seems to be at
least an implicit assumption.  But even in it own terms, such a theory
can only isolate computation (and hence anything consequential on it)
in terms of its "epistemological properties", because the very
object-relations (e.g. those present in computers or brains), in terms
of which any coherent appeal to computation can be made, are
themselves nothing other than computationally-constructed
abstractions.  Consequently this seems (at least to me) to be in
practice pretty much indistinguishable from Bruno's characterisation
of the "reversal" of matter-computation, since, given that CTM
mandates at the outset that all possibility of engagement with matter
is fundamentally epistemological, there seems to be no remaining
motivation to appeal to inconsequential "primitively-material"
properties, except as a sort of religious commitment.

Since this seems quite consistent with what you say above, I'm not
really surprised it doesn't seem odd to you.

David