On 28 Dec 2011, at 21:43, David Nyman wrote:

On 28 December 2011 19:43, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

What UDA1-7 and MGA do at once, is to show that the notion of primitive matter is spurious in the comp frame, but also (mainly perhaps) that physics is branch of number theory/computer science (more precisely: of machine's theology). The physical reality is not a mathematical reality among others,
it is more like the border of some mathematical reality.

Both a physicalist and an arithmeticalist have primitive objects (number, particle) but also elementary dynamic (laws of addition/ multiplication, forces). And from this derives higher order constructs, some being able to
develop self-reference and first person views.

But computationalism is not arithmeticalism. It does not reduce physics as a mathematical theory, but as a precise "machine's theological phenomenon".

Yes, I have always had the strong feeling that the self-reference of
experience to a "localised" point-of-view must somehow be fundamental,
or at least very deep, not circumstantial or trivial.  Since
childhood, I've always been puzzled by questions like "why am I me and
not you?", which just made most other people smile or frown.  Usually
they would point at two objects (my body and theirs) and say with
finality "well, that's you and this is me".

I was, unwillingly, more cruel. I exigate from my parents a proof, before going to bed, that I will wake up being me, and not someone else. That 'consciousness swapping' possibility terrified me, until I discover it makes no sense or it makes to much sense: I do wake up as you, every day, as you know, but don't remember.

With comp the question is non sensical, like we can introspect ourself on the WM duplication, and understand that both the one in M and the one in W will feel like if a miracle occurs: they get one bit of information from the sky! Why am I the one in Moscow and not the one in Washington?

However even then I felt - and more so now - that the real "subject"
of personal identity was not to be so easily characterised.  ISTM that
a straightforward physicalist approach - even a mathematical one - can
provide no real insight into this question of "who or what am I?" and
in effect must either assume, trivialise, ignore or deny it.  In
contrast to this, assuming CTM, the UDA gives a step-wise
demonstration of the way the indispensable role played by observation
leads inexorably to indeterminism in the localisation of the
first-person, independent (until the MGA) of issues of ultimate
ontological primitivity.  This is already a powerful indication that
there is something "computationally real" in play over and above the
structures of matter that characterise an observer's point-of-view.

OK.

So I believe you are right that computational reality must be
characterised primarily in such a way as to account for the
localisation of observers and the emergence of appearances, as opposed
to merely substituting an imaginary god's-eye description of
materiality.  Unfortunately (?) this also implies that reality must
then be Vastly larger and perhaps even more daunting than we could
have imagined.

Well said!

In fact it is like with the Mandelbrot set, which looks like a little spot, but zooming in shows the devils in the pattern details. Like with comp, from outside you don't need a lot (numbers, +, *), but from inside it escapes all the bounds. The whole of observable (and even non observable) physical reality is just a part or a border of that inside. We can expect surprises.

PS I will comment other posts asap. Probably tomorrow.

D'accord.  J'attend avec un grand plaisir vos observations.

Merci,

Bruno