On Dec 30, 6:35 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 4:11 PM, Pierz wrote:

> You think it is ludicrous that a Mars Rover is programmed to monitor the
> state of its
> battery, the temperature of its motors, the amount of memory available for
> pictures, etc?
>
> Brent

<sigh> Let's not go down that boringly overtrodden path, but agree to
disagree on what constitutes consciousness. I disagree with David
Deutsch that we could run a conscious entity on our laptop computer if
we only understood consciousness better, but I agree with him that we
do *not* understand it, and the Turing test is a bad one. But, as I
stated in a remark to Bruno above, those who see no mind-body duality
problem in the first place will never be persuaded of its existence,
just as I will never be persuaded that wiring a sensor in the Mars
Rover makes the machine conscious of its environment.