On Jan 31, 4:00 pm, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/1/31 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>
>
> > On Jan 31, 2:52 pm, Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Craig,
>
> > > The movie The Matrix is essentially about comp. What is it about that
> > > movie's premise that seems impossible to you?
>
> > It's possible to simulate a world for a person but it is not possible
> > to simulate the sense of being a person. I have no problem with full
> > sensory substitution, but I understand that there cannot be a
> > replacement for sense itself. Something real and physical ultimately
> > has to interpret anything to give it sense, otherwise it is non-sense.
> > A program is real in a mind, and real in software, but unless the
> > software is enacted literally on a physical machine or organism at the
> > bottom level, there is no reality.
>
> How do you know there is a bottom level ? Reality did told you so ?

When you shoot people with bullets, do they not die. If I disconnect a
computer from electric power, does it not stop, regardless of the
software?

> That in your theory you posit a bottom level why not... but here you know
> it, so is it too much to ask you how you know so ?

I don't know that there is an absolute bottom for the cosmos, but
physical matter certainly seems to be the bottom of our world. Why
would it not be? What is it that would be beneath that bottom? Can you
build a bomb out of numbers alone?

> Why a human is able to "interpret" himself and a program couldn't ?

Because a human is born to interpret himself. His interpretive
capacity is native to his physiology. A program is an idea native to
human psychology exported onto electronic glass or gears.

> Where
> does sense come from in you theory ? How meaning arises ? Why something ?

Sense is the symmetry of significance (teleology, feeling, continuous
subjects, motive, sequence, anabolic accumulation through time,
energy) and entropy (teleonomy, unfeeling, discrete objects,
determinism, randomness, catabolic evanescence across space, matter).
Sense, significance, and entropy are all the same thing on one sense,
and two or three different things in different senses. It is
singularity folded, and folded again. Meaning does not arise, arise-
ness arises from meaning. Meaning is primordial (not human scale
meaning of course).

Craig