2012/1/31 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>

> On Jan 31, 2:52 pm, Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Craig,
> >
> > The movie The Matrix is essentially about comp. What is it about that
> > movie's premise that seems impossible to you?
>
> It's possible to simulate a world for a person but it is not possible
> to simulate the sense of being a person. I have no problem with full
> sensory substitution, but I understand that there cannot be a
> replacement for sense itself. Something real and physical ultimately
> has to interpret anything to give it sense, otherwise it is non-sense.
> A program is real in a mind, and real in software, but unless the
> software is enacted literally on a physical machine or organism at the
> bottom level, there is no reality.

How do you know there is a bottom level ? Reality did told you so ?

That in your theory you posit a bottom level why not... but here you know
it, so is it too much to ask you how you know so ?

Why a human is able to "interpret" himself and a program couldn't ? Where
does sense come from in you theory ? How meaning arises ? Why something ?

Quentin