On 4 February 2012 14:38, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net> wrote:

> Does my claim that our primitive ground must be neutral with respect to
> any properties make any sense? It like the zero of arithmetic from which we
> can extricate any set of positive and negative quantities in pairs such that
> their sum is equal to zero. What I see in Bruno's interpretation of COMP is
> that it permits for the primitive to have a set of properties (numbers and +
> and *) to the exclusion of its complementary opposites. Since this is a
> violation of neutrality, thus I see a fatal flaw in Bruno's Ideal monist
> interpretation.

I think it may make some intuitive sense, but I don't quite see what
role it could play in a theory, in the technical sense Bruno proposes.
 For example, Bruno sometimes refers to the metaphor of the One - from
Plotinus.  Sometimes in my mind's eye I think of the symmetry of the
One as somehow breaking into an infinity of "computational"
self-relations, individuated instances of consciousness then emerging
from that complexity as spatio-temporally-distinguishable aspects of
the differentiated self-intimacy thus engendered.  The seamless
symmetry of the One - the solus ipse, if you like - might indeed serve
here as a sort of primitive neutral background, any further properties
emerging only as a consequence of the subsequent breaking of that
primal symmetry.

But this is merely an intuitive attempt to grasp the ungraspable, not
a theory, in the sense of something that has any practical
consequences (nothing being so practical as a good theory).  I'd
certainly be interested if you have anything more substantial to
propose.

David