On 2/16/2012 11:09 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:

All of this substitution stuff is predicated upon the possibility that the brain can be emulated by a Universal Turing Machine. It would be helpful if we first established that a Turing Machine is capable of what we are assuming it do be able to do. I am pretty well convinced that it cannot based on all that I have studied of QM and its implications.

This where the paradox of the philosophical zombie arises. It seems pretty certain that a TM, given the right program, can exhibit intelligence. So can we then deny that it is conscious based on unobservable quantum entanglements (i.e. those that make its computation classical)?