On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 2/21/2012 2:45 PM, Terren Suydam wrote:

>>> Yes, I think that's a dubious proposition.  Although brains no doubt have
>>> some degree of inherent quantum randomness it's clear that intelligent
>>> behavior need not depend on that.
>>>
>>> But I'm not sure your thought experiment proves its point.  It's about
>>> simulated Mary.  Suppose consciousness depended on quantum entanglements
>>> of
>>> brain structures with the environment (and they must in order for the
>>> brain
>>> to quasi-classical).  Then in your simulation Mary would be a zombie
>>> (because your computation is purely classical and you're not simulating
>>> the
>>> quantum entanglements).  But an actual macroscopic device substituted for
>>> part of real Mary's brain would be quantum entangled with the environment
>>> even if were at the neuron level.  So consciousness would, ex hypothesi,
>>> still occur - although it might be different in some way.
>>>
>>> Brent
>>
>> Why must consciousness depend on quantum entanglements for the brain
>> to be quasi-classical?
>

> The best theory of how the (quasi) classical world arises from the
> underlying quantum world depends on decoherence, i.e. macroscopic things
> appear classical because they are entangled with the environment which makes
> a few variables, like position and momentum, quasi-classical (c.f. Zurek or
> Schlosshauer).  If a thing is isolated from the environment it may be able
> to exist in a superposition of states, i.e. be non-classical; although
> internal degrees of freedom might also produce quasi-classical dynamics.

OK, but that assumes more than is necessary for the argument. I don't
think Bruno's theory demands an account of how the classical arises
from the quantum. The brain (or its functional equivalent) just
implements computations at or above some substitution level we are
willing to bet on... whether they are entangled with a level lower
than the substitution level is irrelevant.

Terren