On 2/24/2012 5:54 AM, Terren Suydam wrote:

Saying evolution created pain and pleasure is a bit of a cop out. When we say evolution created mammals, we can theorize about a progression of material forms (and environments) that led to mammals.

So *how* did evolution do that?

Of course evolution does everything the same way: random variation and
reproductive selection.

What sort of progression could you theorize about that led to pain and pleasure? I think to do that, assuming mechanism, you still have to come up with something that maps those feelings to 3p processes.

Sure. Look at some of the books by Anotonio Damasio, e.g. "The Feeling of What
Happens".