On 2/25/2012 7:15 AM, Terren Suydam wrote:
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 6:20 PM, acw<a...@lavabit.com>  wrote:
Pain - immediate actions, random or not, to specific dangerous stimuli.
Aversion/avoidance in more complex organisms (such as those capable of
expecting or predicting painful stimuli).
Pleasure - reduced or repeated same actions, to specific pelasurable
stimuli. Pleasure seeking behavior in more complex organisms (such as those
capable of expecting or predicting pleasurable stimuli).
Stimuli can be both internal (emotion) or external (senses).
Obviously for beings as complex as humans the nature of certain emotions can
be much more complex than that because they are mixed in with many others,
but I think that's what the simplest behavioral characterization of
pain/pleasure that I know of.
Just a quick response acw, to say thanks for your responses. I
basically agree with everything you've said, it makes total sense to
me. And yet, I am not doing a very good job of expressing myself (to
myself even) because I'm still not satisfied. There's an intuitive
sense I have of a problem that's deeper than anything I've been able
to express so far... and it may turn out to be something else, but I
won't know until I can communicate it.

You might ask yourself, "What form would a satisfactory answer to my problem
take?"

Brent

I also won't have much time in
the next week for anything so didn't want to leave you hanging. So I
will reflect on what you and Bruno have said... thanks again.

Terren