On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 6:20 PM, acw <a...@lavabit.com> wrote:
> Pain - immediate actions, random or not, to specific dangerous stimuli.
> Aversion/avoidance in more complex organisms (such as those capable of
> expecting or predicting painful stimuli).
> Pleasure - reduced or repeated same actions, to specific pelasurable
> stimuli. Pleasure seeking behavior in more complex organisms (such as those
> capable of expecting or predicting pleasurable stimuli).
> Stimuli can be both internal (emotion) or external (senses).
> Obviously for beings as complex as humans the nature of certain emotions can
> be much more complex than that because they are mixed in with many others,
> but I think that's what the simplest behavioral characterization of
> pain/pleasure that I know of.

Just a quick response acw, to say thanks for your responses. I
basically agree with everything you've said, it makes total sense to
me. And yet, I am not doing a very good job of expressing myself (to
myself even) because I'm still not satisfied. There's an intuitive
sense I have of a problem that's deeper than anything I've been able
to express so far... and it may turn out to be something else, but I
won't know until I can communicate it. I also won't have much time in
the next week for anything so didn't want to leave you hanging. So I
will reflect on what you and Bruno have said... thanks again.

Terren