On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 2/24/2012 5:54 AM, Terren Suydam wrote:
>>

>> Saying evolution created pain and pleasure is a bit of a cop out. When we
>> say evolution created mammals, we can theorize about a progression of
>> material forms (and environments) that led to mammals.
>>
>> So *how* did evolution do that?
>>

> Of course evolution does everything the same way: random variation and
> reproductive selection.

What I mean is, at what point in the evolutionary process does the
experience of pain and pleasure emerge?

For instance, we could say of the experience of color, that it emerged
when evolution produced organisms with multiple photoreceptors that
are sensitive to light of different wavelengths.

So what kind of organization arose during the evolutionary process
that led directly to the subjective experience of pain and pleasure?

>> What sort of progression could you theorize about that led to pain and
>> pleasure? I think to do that, assuming mechanism, you still have to come up
>> with something that maps those feelings to 3p processes.
>>

> Sure. Look at some of the books by Anotonio Damasio, e.g. "The Feeling of
> What Happens".
>
> Brent

I certainly will. In the meantime, do you have an example from Damasio
(or any other source) that could shed light on the pain/pleasure
phenomenon?

Terren