On 4/2/2012 7:14 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
If all movement was involuntary in the
>  >  first place then there would be no significant difference between
>  >  passively watching yourself move and passively watching yourself not
>  >  move
>
>  >  If we had no free will, our belief about it should have no effect on
>  >  the actual ability to execute our wishes though our motor cortex.
>
>  Non sequitur.
Why? If you program a machine to believe that it has free will, how
would such a belief have any effect on its behavior? How could it
improve its performance in any way?

If you program a machine to form explanatory and predictive models of the world, then it will try to form a model of itself. But it would be difficult and extremely wasteful, from a survival standpoint, to provide it the introspective data necessary to model its own physical internal decision processes. Failing to have this introspection it may come to foolishly believe in something it calls 'free will'.