On 05.04.2012 01:59 Stathis Papaioannou said the following:
On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 5:56 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi<use...@rudnyi.ru>  wrote:
On 03.04.2012 02:06 Stathis Papaioannou said the following:

Since there is no evolutionary advantage to consciousness it must be a
side-effect of the sort of behaviour that conscious organisms display.
Otherwise, why did we not evolve as zombies?

The evolutionary advantage of consciousness, according to Jeffrey Gray, is
late-error detection.

But the late-error detection processing could be done in the same way
by a philosophical zombie. Since, by definition, a philosophical
zombie's behaviour is indistinguishable from that of a conscious being
there is no way that nature could favour a conscious being over the
equivalent philosophical zombie. You then have two options to explain
why we are not zombies:

(a) It is impossible to make a philosophical zombie as consciousness
is just a side-effect of intelligent behaviour;
(b) It is possible to make a philosophical zombie but the mechanism
for intelligent behaviour that nature chanced upon has the side-effect
of consciousness.

Though (b) is possible I don't think it's plausible.

Jeffrey Gray considers consciousness from a viewpoint of empirical studies. Philosophical zombies so far exist only in the minds of crazy philosophers, so I am not sure if this is relevant.

As I have written, conscious experience offers unique capabilities to tune all running servomechanisms to the brain that otherwise it has not. This is what neuroscience says. When neuroscience will find zombies, then it would be possible to consider this hypothesis as well.

Clearly one can imagine that he/she is not zombie and others are zombies. But then he/she must convince others that they are zombies.