On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:
> On 05.04.2012 01:59 Stathis Papaioannou said the following:

>>> The evolutionary advantage of consciousness, according to Jeffrey Gray,
>>> is
>>> late-error detection.
>>

>> But the late-error detection processing could be done in the same way
>> by a philosophical zombie. Since, by definition, a philosophical
>> zombie's behaviour is indistinguishable from that of a conscious being
>> there is no way that nature could favour a conscious being over the
>> equivalent philosophical zombie. You then have two options to explain
>> why we are not zombies:
>>
>> (a) It is impossible to make a philosophical zombie as consciousness
>> is just a side-effect of intelligent behaviour;
>> (b) It is possible to make a philosophical zombie but the mechanism
>> for intelligent behaviour that nature chanced upon has the side-effect
>> of consciousness.
>>
>> Though (b) is possible I don't think it's plausible.
>>

> Jeffrey Gray considers consciousness from a viewpoint of empirical studies.
> Philosophical zombies so far exist only in the minds of crazy philosophers,
> so I am not sure if this is relevant.
>
> As I have written, conscious experience offers unique capabilities to tune
> all running servomechanisms to the brain that otherwise it has not. This is
> what neuroscience says. When neuroscience will find zombies, then it would
> be possible to consider this hypothesis as well.
>
> Clearly one can imagine that he/she is not zombie and others are zombies.
> But then he/she must convince others that they are zombies.

I think you've missed the point. It is not necessary that
philosophical zombies exist, it is only necessary that the idea is
coherent. The question then is, Could philosophical zombies exist? If
you say no, then you are saying that consciousness is a necessary
side-effect of the kind of intelligent behaviour that humans display.
Do you believe that that is so, or do you believe that it is possible
for a being to be made that behaves just like a human but lacks
consciousness? You are free to dismiss this question as uninteresting
to you but I think it is still a coherent question.

--
Stathis Papaioannou