On 4/25/2012 11:45 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

As I've posted before, when we know how look at a brain and infer what
it's thinking and we know how to build a brain that behaves as we want,
in other words when we can do consciousness engineering, the "hard
problem" will be bypassed as a metaphysical non-question, like "Where
did the elan vital go?"

Brent

This is a position expressed by Jeffrey Gray as follows (he does not share it):

«What looks like a Hard Problem will cease to be one when we have understood the errors in our ways of speaking about the issues involved. If the route were successful, we would rejoin the normal stance: once our head have been straightened out, science could again just get on with the job of filling in the details of empirical knowledge.»

Evgenii

http://blog.rudnyi.ru/tag/jeffrey-a-gray

I think the main mistake in formulating the 'hard problem' is thinking that we can't explain consciousness with mathematical theories like mechanics, astrophysics, quantum mechanics. The mistake isn't that we can explain consciousness, it's supposing that we can explain physics. We don't explain mechanics or gravity or electrodynamics - we have models for them that work, they are predictive and can be used to control and design things. Bruno points out that *primitive matter* doesn't add anything to physics. When asked what explained the gravitational force Newton said, "Hypothesi non fingo". Someday, consciousness will be looked at similarly.