On Apr 26, 8:31 pm, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I never said there is no choosing, we choose things all the time. Unlike
> the noise "free will" the word "choose" actually means something; if at a
> particular time I can see that there are 2 actions (X or Y)  I can take and
> I don't know which one to do and then at a later time I find that I am
> performing action Y not action X then I have *chosen* to perform action

And if you actualty could have chosen either, you had libertarian FW.
That is what
it means.

> > The whole idea of 'picking' clearly, obviously, relies on a third
> > alternative of intentional choice.
>
> It's completely binary, your "intentional choice" was caused for a reason
> or it was not, if it was then you're a Cuckoo Clock if it wasn't then
> you're a Roulette Wheel; a event happened for a reason or it did not happen
> for a reason, there is no third alternative.

Since "reason" and "cause" are not synonyms there are plenty of
alternatives, eg

You did it for a reason (aim, goal, end) that was efficiently caused.
You did it for a reason (aim, goal, end) that was not efficiently
caused.
You did it because of a cause but for  non reason.
You did it randomly and for no reason.