On 4/29/2012 8:34 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Apr 29, 11:17 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
On 4/29/2012 8:03 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Apr 29, 9:53 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>    wrote:
I think we do.  My dog acts intelligently and most people suppose he
experiences qualia.
Do we think a stupid dog experiences qualia which is not as rich as
that of a smart dog?
No, but I suppose that an oyster does not experience qualia as rich as that of
a dog.
I agree, but not necessarily because the oyster isn't intelligent as
much as it more phylogenetically distant from Homo sapiens than a
dog.

For instance, cetaceans are more intelligent than fish but I don't
have an intuitive feel for how the qualia a dolphin experiences from
that of a shark. I suspect that how I relate to both species as a
member of Homo sapiens is to blame for that. I imagine that a dolphin
might be offended to be compared to a shark (well, I don't know if
dolphins have the ego to feel offended in that way, but still).

Pain does not hurt as much for a dog that doesn't
know how to roll over on command?
Pain is pretty basic.  But it is evolutionarily related to possible reactions.
I don't think it can be evolutionarily related to anything. Not
biological evolution anyhow. Pain in and of itself has no functional
connection to any reactions. Our experience of pain influences us, but
there is no mechanical reason that would be the case.

So why is it that some people don't feel pain?

Brent

It could be a
feeling of dizzyness or no feeling at all that influences us instead.

Craig